Buffalo Regals Hockey Tournament Rules
All Rules established and published by USA Hockey shall apply except as modified herein:
1. Major Penalties for fighting may result in appearance before the Tournament
Committee. Additional suspension may result including expulsion from the
2. Match Penalties will result in a hearing. Suspension from the
tournament will be almost automatic. In addition, the results of the hearing
will be forwarded to your local governing body for further action.
3. In order to be eligible for a playoff round game, a player must be signed in and play in
a preliminary round game.
4. Equipment Rules that apply within your own local jurisdiction will apply for your team.
5. Elimination round games must be played. If a team cannot (or will not) stay for
a playoff game, the next eligible team will take their place. The team that
departs is ineligible for any awards.
6. This is a sanctioned tournament. Only those teams properly recognized by
the governing bodies of IIHF recognized federations (USA Hockey, Hockey Canada, etc)
are eligible. THE USE OF ANY ILLEGAL OR UNAUTHORIZED
PLAYER WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE EXPULSION FROM THE
TOURNAMENT AND LOSS OF ANY AND ALL FEES PAID.
7. Only those Coaches and Managers recognized by the tournament are eligible
to be in the vicinity of the Players Bench area. Team Staff must wear the name
badge that is issued to them in order to go on the bench.
8. Players under suspension from their local bodies may be ineligible to play
in the tournament. Contact the Tournament Director if there is any doubt.
9. MERCY RULE: If 5 or more goals separate the teams at the end of the
second period, or anytime in the third period, running time will commence for
the remainder of the game. If the team behind comes to within 2 goals of the
team ahead, stop time will résumé for the remainder of the game.
10. Teams are expected to arrive at the rink 45 minutes prior to their game. Games may begin
as much as 15 minutes ahead of schedule. Teams MUST be prepared to begin a game
early if asked to do so. If there are any unexpected delays, we will attempt to contact the
team through their designated contact person.
11. The on site Tournament Director reserves the right to end any game at any
time where it is apparent that the game is out of hand.
THE RULES COMMITTEE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY ANY RULE HEREIN WHICH IS DEEMED NOT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE TOURNAMENT OR HOCKEY IN GENERAL. THIS DECISION WILL BE FINAL.
Buffalo Regals Tie Breaking Formats
We use the 5 point system in our youth games. A total of 5 points are available for each youth game. 2 points are given for winning a game and 1 point for a tie. In addition, there is 1 point provided for each period WON and One-half point for each period tied. A total of 5 points are available for each game.
If two teams are tied:
1. Most points acquired in the game played between the two tied teams.
Example: Team A and Team B each have 16 points. In the game played
between these two teams, Team A has 2 points and Team B has
3 points. Team B is the Winner.
2. Plus/Minus: Goals for minus goals against in games versus common
opponents. Highest +/- wins.
3. Plus/Minus: Goals for minus goals against in ALL GAMES PLAYED.
4. Total Goals For (against common opponents).
5. Total Goals For (In all games played).
6. Least Goals Allowed (against common opponents).
7. Least Goals Allowed (In all games played).
8. Team that scored the first goal (in the game against each other).
If three or more teams are tied:
1. Most points acquired in the games against other tied teams only.
2. Plus/Minus in games against other tied teams only.
3. Plus/Minus in all games played. Highest +/- wins.
4,5,6,7. Same as if two teams are tied (above).
8. First Goal Scored: Fastest goal scored by a team in games played against
other tied teams only.
9. Least Penalty Minutes. (Major and Minor only). Misconducts do not apply
NOTE: All ties DO NOT NEED TO BE BROKEN AT ONCE. Example: If Team A and Team B each have a +3 in the +/- system, and Team C has a +2, then Team C fails to move on to the next tie breaker. Team A and Team B will move on to the next tie breaker.
The Tournament Committee reserves the right to change the tie breaking format under cases of unusual circumstances. In odd situations where teams pull out or forfeit, the point system is thrown off. Unusual situations may force change of these procedures. Teams will have input into any changes that may happen.
Buffalo Regals Tournament Overtime Policy
This applies to Playoff Games only!
If a game is tied at the end of regulation, there will be a 5 minute sudden death overtime period played. The first team to score will be the winner.
If a game is tied at the end of the 1st overtime period, a second 5 minute sudden death overtime period will be played. The first team to score will be the winner.
If at the end of the 2nd overtime the game remains tied, there shall be a 3 man shootout.
If at the end of the 3 man shootout the game remains tied, there shall be a sudden death shootout until a winner is determined.
Teams must rotate through their entire line up of forward and defensemen before they can repeat a shooter. Teams can switch goaltenders at anytime during the shootout.
The first and second overtime periods will be played 4 on 4. If a team incurs a penalty, this will cause the team to play (short) 4 on 3. Should that team incur another penalty that would make them be down two men, the non offending team would be allowed to place a 5th player onto the ice thereby making the game a 5 on 3. Once the penalties have expired, the game would revert to 4 on 4.